Adverse (side) effects
- Blank Minds and Tramp Souls
- Can Meditation Have Negative Side Effects?
- Damaged by Meditation?
- Dark Side Of Meditation
- Depersonalization and Derealization [Infographic]
- Seven Popular Myths about Meditation
- Everyday Belief and Delusion
- Psychotherapy and Meditation
- Recovering From Meditation
- Enlightenment’s Evil Twin
- What If Meditation Isn’t Good for You?
- “Unusual experiences” of mindfulness
The negative (adverse) effects of meditation have been known and discussed in the Eastern traditions, mostly Buddhism. Numerous Buddhist texts (of which I have to find English translations) describe known psychological problems from meditation. Many of the meditation texts warn against “sleeping sickness” or “lung”. These “sicknesses” could be debilitating and sometimes fatal. Though rare, at least rarely reported in the West, we need more research into the negative effects, especially of meditators who practice for long durations at a time or intensely.